FAQs - Housing Assignment Process

Frequently Asked HAP Questions....

1. Do we need to pay a $100 room reservation deposit to participate in this process? No, a room reservation deposit is not required to participate in the Returning Student Housing Assignment Process (HAP). You must, however, submit your HAP application on Self-Service THD and register for Fall 2022 classes by the Friday, 4/15 priority housing assignment deadline. Students who submit their HAP applications after that date will be assigned after all the students who meet the priority deadline are assigned. The awarding of Senior Perks privileges also ends on Friday, 4/15.

2. What are the room rents for the 2022-2023 academic year? The room rents for the 2022-2023 academic year are provided in the chart below:

Room Type/ Rent Per Semester
HH Double/ $3650 per semester
HH Single/ $3800 per semester
HH Premium Single/ $4000 per semester
TH Double/ $3800 per semester
TH Single/ $3950 per semester
TH Premium Single/ $4100 per semester


2. Do we need to form a full group of 4 or 6 individuals to apply for an apartment? Yes. You must choose the apartment size you want and form a full group to fill it. If you need assistance finding people to fill your group or are looking for a group to join, please join our exclusive People Looking for People Facebook page. (NOTE: We will set aside a few apartments for individual students who are not able to form or join a group. Assignments in these apartments will be random and bedroom type cannot be guaranteed.)

3. Can students who are transferring to MCLA this fall join our group? Yes, on a limited basis. Incoming transfer students who have been accepted at MCLA and paid their $200 enrollment deposit may participate in this process as follows. In Hoosac Hall, a currently enrolled student may pull in a transfer student as a roommate in a double room. In the Townhouses, a group of four or six may pull one transfer student into their group.

4. Can we form a coed townhouse? Yes. All returning students are eligible for coed housing on the returning student floor in Hoosac Hall and any Townhouse. You should really take a moment and think about this option first. Remember, if you have a vacancy in the apartment later on, you are responsible for filling it....and filling it quickly. If you can't, you may lose your coed status. 

5. What's the difference between coed and gender-inclusive housing? Coed housing is where students live in the same environment with students of different genders, but each room in the environment is single gender. We offer coed housing in both residence areas. All floors in Hoosac are coed with a mix of different gender rooms and in the Townhouses a coed apartment can have a different gender in each bedroom. Gender-inclusive housing takes assignment flexibility up another notch. With gender-inclusive housing, any multiple occupant room can have more than one gender in it. This option is available anywhere that coed housing is available.

6. Can we form a 21+ townhouse? Yes. If everyone in your group will be 21 or older by September 4, 2022, you are eligible for a 21+ apartment from the day returning resident student check-in begins. In 21+ apartments, the consumption of alcohol is allowable if everyone present is 21 years of age or older. We update the 21+ apartment list every month. If everyone in your apartment turns 21 after September 4, 2022, please contact the Office of Residence Life & Housing to update your 21+ status.

7. What about that HAP rank system? How does it work? Each student gets an individual rank that is based on credits completed as of the end of the fall 2021 semester. If you are seeking housing in HH, room selection is completed in individual rank order. The higher the rank, the higher your priority in the assignment process. If you are seeking housing in the Townhouses, all of your group's individual ranks are added up and divided by the number of people in your group to create a group rank. Again, the higher the group rank, the higher your priority in the assignment process. 

8. I require housing accommodations, what process do I need to go through? If you have a medical condition or disability that requires a housing accommodation, please go to the MCLA Disability Resources web page for information and forms. 

9. I don't have an on-campus residency requirement. Can I move off-campus after the fall 2022 semester? No. The Residence Area Occupancy Agreement (RAOA) is a full-year commitment. If you find that you are unhappy in your room and/or apartment, you are expected to seek alternate housing accommodations on campus, not move off-campus.

10. I live within the College-designated commuting range. Can I commute from home after the fall 2022 semester? No. Please see the answer to question #10.

11. I don't have an on-campus residency requirement and I'm not yet sure whether I want to live on- or off-campus. Can my friends and I just reserve a Townhouse now and then cancel our Residence Area Occupancy Agreements when we find an off-campus apartment? Students who do not have an on-campus housing residency requirement are welcome to live on campus and welcome to participate in the returning student housing assignment process. If you do participate in the process and change your mind about living on campus between the date you select an assignment and July 1, 2022, you may cancel your Residence Area Occupancy Agreement by paying a $300 cancellation fee. The cancellation fee option is not available after July 1, 2022.